  From: Marty Nelson
  To: support@pfsense.com
  Sent: Wednesday, January 28, 2009 10:06 AM
  Subject: [pfSense Support] Possible to boot pfSense with WAN interface down?

  Greetings all.

  I have a customer who's putting in a DSL line for us to be able to better
support them (we're currently dialing in).  In doing so, they are somewhat
breaking their corporate rules.  Even with their current dial in setup, we have
to call them and tell them to plug it in when we want access.

  Well now with the DSL line going in, even though I'm throwing pfSense in,
they are now even more concerned with security.  What I was wondering was if it
was possible to have pfSense start with the WAN interface down so that we could
then call them -> dial in -> connect to pfSense and manually fire up the WAN
interface.  As far as I can tell, I can issue an ifconfig fxp1 down command
from the web interface (or by sshing in), but should the machine be rebooted
the interface starts up automatically.

  Is what I'm looking for do-able?

  Thanks!

  -Marty