On Wed, Feb 11, 2009 at 2:09 PM, Jeremy Bennett <jbenn...@obtusion.com> wrote:
> Thanks for all of the suggestions. Tunnelblick and Viscosity look like good
> options.
>
> Here is another VPN related question: I've been using PPTP to date since it
> is dead simple to setup. If I need to connect to another site via PPTP, I
> need to turn off PPTP on my local box. Something about the limitation of
> PPTP in its current implementation or something... either way, turning off
> local PPTP server for the duration of my outbound session has been my
> workaround, but I don't always remember to turn it back on.
>
> Were I to switch to OpenVPN, would I be bound to the same limitation, or
> would I be able to leave the local OpenVPN server running while connecting
> to another external OpenVPN Pfsense box?

That's only related to GRE, which OpenVPN doesn't use. GRE is
problematic on numerous firewalls, you'll have far less trouble with
something that encapsulates the traffic in standard UDP or TCP as
OpenVPN does (or IPsec with NAT-T). There are no limitations
whatsoever with OpenVPN, unlike with PPTP/GRE.