A friend of mine will test this apic.disable with his WG config...
Hope it helps...

Regards,

Martin !

Von: Dimitri Rodis [mailto:dimit...@integritasystems.com]
Gesendet: Montag, 23. März 2009 05:39
An: support@pfsense.com
Betreff: [pfSense Support] ACPI/APIC in loader.conf - watchdog timeouts

So I just came across this little tidbit while searching for potential
solutions to the re: watchdog timeout issue on the firebox installs that I have
pfSense running on. Some folks suggest that the problem is due to an interrupt
storm which can result in a partial/total system hang. While doing further
research, I found this:

http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en/books/handbook/acpi-debug.html

Specifically:
------------------
11.16.3.3 System Hangs (temporary or permanent)
Most system hangs are a result of lost interrupts or an interrupt storm.
Chipsets have a lot of problems based on how the BIOS configures interrupts
before boot, correctness of the APIC (MADT) table, and routing of the System
Control Interrupt (SCI).
Interrupt storms can be distinguished from lost interrupts by checking the
output of vmstat -i and looking at the line that has acpi0. If the counter is
increasing at more than a couple per second, you have an interrupt storm. If
the system appears hung, try breaking to DDB (CTRL+ALT+ESC on console) and type
show interrupts.
Your best hope when dealing with interrupt problems is to try disabling APIC
support with hint.apic.0.disabled="1" in loader.conf.
------------------

hint.apic.0.disabled=1? I thought it was hint.acpi.0.disabled=1 (see
http://doc.pfsense.org/index.php/Booting_Options, and also the forum posts
regarding firebox installs)

Is there a typo here or are these two totally different things? I have not
tried the hint.apic.0.disabled=1 yet, but I plan to tomorrow. Also, are the
double quotes of particular importance? Some docs show them there, others don't.

Any info appreciated.... I think these old end of life firebox x series units
would be great for pfSense, provided we can get the watchdog timeouts to go
away (and a specially sized sticker than can cover up the Firebox X logo :))

Dimitri Rodis
Integrita Systems LLC