On Wed, Mar 25, 2009 at 11:31 PM, Chuck Mariotti <cmario...@xunity.com> wrote:
> I have the option of staying/working from a home on a the Lake for a number
> of weeks this summer here in Ontario/Canada. Nice and relaxed. Unfortunately,
> the only internet access is dialup, which is not acceptable (of course).
>
> After much poking around, I borrowed my wife's iPhone, went up to the highest
> point in the house, stuck it up against each window, and low and behold with
> one of those windows... one bar of 3G. 3G / Edge jumped In and Out, but it
> was definitely there. Some tests were pretty good... 2mbit down, 500kup...
> others, pretty bad... very bad... 3G signal would go down, etc... but it's
> there!

Hey Chuck,

I've got an HTC TyTn II.  I think you told me that you had the same
one, or a similar one.  It has a connector for 2 external antennae.
One is for GPS, I think the other is for cellular.  The external
antenna may also solve the all-or-nothing issue with your 3g phone by
giving you a bit of a boost.

There is a registry hack to make the device support WiFi tethering.
In this case, you would be turning the phone into a WiFi AP and you
could just connect to the phone using pfSense and any supported
wireless card, including your Alix.  Bridging 3g to WiFi with a
commodity phone simplifies that part of the equation.  Make sure to
turn off the Bluetooth radio as it seems to interfere with reception.
(this may also help on the Iphone)

I know a TyTn isn't exactly cheap but if you don't have one already,
you might be able to get one cheap with a screen defect or something.
It's also quite possible that other, older/cheaper models would serve
as well but I can only speak for what I've got.

You could also jail break the Iphone and tether to it.  Signal
strength is an issue as you pointed out.  I haven't seen an external
antenna connector on the Iphone.  I don't know how your wife would
feel about you putting her Iphone in a tupperware container and
hoisting it up a pole just so you could have Internet access.  :-)

If you were doing wireless tethering, you wouldn't strictly need
pfSense in this arrangement.  One benefit to using it would be
tunneling, with OpenVPN or IPsec, back to work/home.  If you turn on
compression you could boost your effective throughput with some types
of traffic and possibly reduce your cellular data usage.

Good luck,