On Wed, Jun 17, 2009 at 11:48:23AM -0600, David Burgess wrote:

> My experience has been that the forum is good, but the mailing list is
> better. Many capable folks hang out on the forum, but I suspect some

It's a different medium. For many mailing lists (push, not pull like
web forums) read in a keystroke-driven text MUA with filtering
are the most effective forms of communication by far (especially,
if used properly).

Of course, these days mailing lists are dying, and many (most?)
developers didn't grew up on the medium.

> of them don't visit often. Something in the inbox has a more immediate
> effect. I tend to attempt to answer questions on the forum, but I ask
> my questions on the list (with the exception of questions regarding
> some packages. It seems some package maintainers are more active on
> the forum or in IRC).

IRC is also good, but somewhat complementary to email.