Can't do layer 4 yet, but i read somewhere some work is being done on it, maybe in pfsense 2.0.

A sorta work around could be forcing all the clients to use pfSense as their DNS. Then use opendns.org as your dns resolver. This should prevent a lot of the torrent and other bad sites from resolving to anything.

Adam

bsd wrote:
Hello,

I am about to answer a public tender and am looking for a reliable open-source filtering solution. I need to filter layer 3 and 4 of TCP/IP stack (TCP and Application layer) specially for stream such as Peer to Peer - IM - Streaming - Virus.

I was wondering if PFSense could do this kind of packet inspection work and how (from my reading It looks like the answer is "no"). Maybe there are some third party solution that could be incorporated and used… If not I would be interested in a pointer to another OpenSource project with similar facilities.

Any experience feed-back is also very welcome.

Thanks for your support.

Gregober ---> PGP ID --> 0x1BA3C2FD
bsd @at@ todoo.biz

P "Please consider your environmental responsibility before printing this e-mail"

__________ Information from ESET NOD32 Antivirus, version of virus signature database 4237 (20090712) __________

http://www.eset.com