Rainer Duffner wrote:

Paul Mansfield schrieb:
boot a live linux disk like ubuntu

try a speed test website.

for network testing...

set up the interfaces

create a 1G test file, e.g. "dd if=/dev/urandom of=/tmp/random bs=1024
count=1048576"

then use "time scp /tmp/random otherhost:/tmp/blah" or use "netcat -l -p
1234" on one to create a listen and on other "time cat /tmp/random |
netcat -p 1234 otherhost" to see how long it takes

also use iptraf.

you *should* be able to get close to theoretical maximum between two
machines if switches, cabling and computers are working OK.

I may be wrong, but his problem is pps (packets per second).
That's not the same as being able to download a large file.
Unfortunately.

How does one generate a large a mount of (small) packets with "useful"
an genuine traffic?

Rainer