>I have seen some BIOS that would only boot from a USB key in that case
>after a BIOS update and some option twiddling (though I don't recall what).
>
>We have also seen that some embedded devices require booting in packet
>mode or nopacket mode, depending on the BIOS it could be one or the
>other. This can be changed, but required plugging the device into
>another FreeBSD box or another pfSense box and running:
>
>boot0cfg -o packet /dev/da0
>
>Where packet can also be nopacket, and /dev/da0 is the full path to the
>USB device as seen by the OS (check dmesg).

Wow, I don't have any bsd machines, lol. Can you reco what I should pull
down to install on a recent desktop, with AHCI sata for example?

>I don't recall what the RC1 images are, but the current nanobsd
>snapshots should be using packet mode.
>
>Before doing much else, I'd also try a more recent snapshot than RC1.

I didn't know there was anything newer except 2.0, which I read has all
the embedded images not functional. Where do i get a more recent 1.2.3
image?

Are you speaking of these:
http://snapshots.pfsense.org/FreeBSD_RELENG_7_2/pfSense_RELENG_1_2/nanobsd/

The pfSense-1.2.3-512mb-20090723-1908-nanobsd.img image didn’t hang the server
but it just sat at a blinking cursor:)

Thanks for all the advice!
jlc