Bill Marquette wrote:
> Speaking personally..I use MacFusion (ssfs via FUSE with a gui
> wrapper) to mount the filesystem via ssh.  Then I point my local
> editor at the locally mounted filesystem.  This workflow should work
> fine on Windows, Linux, FreeBSD, or anything else that supports
> sshfs/fuse.  Some editors also have a concept of a remote project (I
> believe NetBeans and Eclipse can handle syncing via sftp - although
> I've never used that feature).

Is there a FUSE port for Windows? I thought it was only on BSD, Linux,
and Mac. I'd love to be able to use ssh filesystems from Windows boxes.

On Windows, I like UltraEdit, which has built-in scp/sftp support, and
can open/save directly over ssh. On FreeBSD I'll either use Kate and
access the box via a fish url, or vi if I'm on the console.

Depending on what I'm working with, I'll test on a live system, a test
system, or a VM, typically in that order by severity and/or ease of
reproducing a problem.