On Thu, Oct 8, 2009 at 11:24 AM, Evgeny Yurchenko <evg.yu...@rogers.com> wrote:
> Yesterday it happened twice on one of my production firewalls. CPU load was
> less than 10%. Did not pay attention at the moment but accoring to RRD
> number of states was not unusual - 4-5k. I reproduced it in my lab - only
> test connection, so number of states was less than 100.
> Evgeny.

I would lean toward hardware.   We regularly push 20 megabit out one
of my CARP clusters and I do not see this behavior.

If something is preempting the network stack (CARP) from sending its
Heartbeats than it's doing what it is designed to do.

Probably not what you want to hear but I would look at the hardware
closer, interrupts, etc.

Scott