Michel Servaes wrote:
> I was wondering, if there would be a way (by not installing third
> party software) to monitor the uptime of your ipsec VPN tunnels.
> Sure, I can ping every LAN printer that is in the other subnet - or
> install third party software... but some kind of cronjob checking this
> would also be a cool way to accomplish this.
>
> And as soon a VPN is out for xxx minutes, a mail should be sent to the admin.
>
> That way - I could anticipate on power outages, or any other reason
> why a VPN does not come up.

There is a cron package you can install to manage the firewall's cron
jobs and add your own. A little scripting and such could get the rest.
Parsing setkey -D and setkey -DP output can be a little tricky,
especially trying to match those up with tunnels in the config though.

You can refer to the code in the IPsec status page (and dashboard
widget) for some pointers or code to reuse.

Jim