On 12/28/2009 10:28 AM, Kurt Buff wrote:
>> My big question - how would I tell which network interface will be the LAN,
>> to run the WebGUI wizard on... (on an Alix, it's the first one - but how can
>> I tell on this P3-600 (old compaq) board, which would be the first one ?)
>>
>> Or won't it run at all ? Any first thoughts here ?
>
> Hook up a monitor and keyboard. Get into the console. Plug in the one
> of the NICs to a switch (probably the one on your LAN). Do an
> ifconfig, and see which of your NICs is active.

If you are running an embedded image, keyboard/monitor will be disabled
and you will need a null modem serial cable to configure this part.

> Or, since you're already running monowall, check it to see which it
> thinks is which - how did you figure that one out?

That is sound advice. You could edit your pfSense configuration to
include these device names before booting the embedded image, otherwise
you'd need to use the serial console to reassign them.

If you want to edit the config directly on the CF, see here:
http://doc.pfsense.org/index.php/Modifying_Embedded

The reason it works out of the box on ALIX/Soekris is because the
default network adapter names for those are vr0/vr1 on both platforms so
those are in the default configuration.

Jim