On Tue, Jan 12, 2010 at 8:50 PM, Ugo Bellavance <u...@lubik.ca> wrote:
> I'm running pfsense 1.2.2 on a pentium 4, 3.0 ghz, 1 GB RAM.  HDD install.
>
> When I start a download from a nearby centos mirror, directly from the
> firewall (using fetch), I get the full bandwith available from my ISP (60
> mbps).  However, If I try to download the same file from the same server,
> but from a linux server behind the firewall, using wget, I only get about 20
> mbps.  If I start multiple download, I can reach 60mbps. Is there an
> explanation?

What are the latency (ping times) to your nearby mirror?

As Chris suggested, you should attach a sniffer to see what the TCP
window sizes are doing.  Sounds like either the TCP window scaling
flag is getting dropped or not scaling up appropriately.

One easy thing to try is to disable TCP window scaling on the Linux
machine, but it probably won't change much unless ping times are very
low.

A lot of detail here on what can happen if the window scaling flag
gets dropped somewhere between the source and destination during TCP
negotation.

http://lwn.net/Articles/92727/

-Dave