On Thu, Jan 21, 2010 at 12:09 PM, Trevor Benson <tben...@a-1networks.com>wrote:

> Had the same issue you describe, as I have multiple ranges at my office
> that I connect to from my home network.
>
> I started to dump traffic on both firewalls enc0 interface, and the network
> traffic that works appears on both interfaces.  The ICMP traffic that does
> not reach the other end does not appear on either enc0 interface.  I already
> know about creating custom pre-shared keys if you have multiple connections
> between the same networks (so if you have 2 tunnels between the same 2
> endpoints and use PSK, each tunnel will require its own key and could cause
> issues similar to what your seeing).
>
> Home office networks:
> I have 10.101.0.0/24 and 10.101.1.0/24 on my home pfsense firewall,
> represented as 10.101.0.0/23.
>
> Main office networks:
> I have my office LAN of 10.11.200.0/24.  I have various networks for DMZ
> (each a respective /24), LAB, and VoIP, represented by 172.16.0.0/14(covering
> 172.16-172.19, and all of the additional /24's those include.
>

> I can ping from 10.101.0.0/23 into the 172.16.0.0/14 networks.  Traffic
> can be destined into my network as well from the 172.16.0.0/14 networks.
>
> I cannot ping from 10.101.0.0/23 into 10.11.200.0/24 and 10.11.200.0/24cannot
> reach my network.  Watching the traffic on enc0 shows that neither
> side actually forwards anything over the encrypted interface when these two
> networks are trying to reach eachother.  If i dump the lan interface i can
> see the packet reaching the firewall, but it doesnt appear to leave the WAN,
> or IPSEC interfaces.
>
> SAD and SPD were there, status showed both tunnels as active, but only one
> passed traffic.  Further testing showed even stranger results.  I could ping
> into the 172.16.0.0/14 networks, hence i could also make a voip call.  BUT
> when my employees tried to reach me, they got dead air, and not traffic
> reach my end to initiate the SIP negotiation.  So now it appeared i had
> unidirectional access between the networks.  Before i tested the alternate
> direction i tried recreating the tunnels from scratch, still had the same
> results.  I decided to recreate the tunnels from scratch to test, and found
> the same result.  I deleted the 10.11.200.0/24 tunnels from both sides,
> and traffic flows both directions now over the single tunnel.  It started to
> sound like IPSEC rule generation issues so i went to Firewall rules and
> created matching rules to the flows, and now traffic is working normally.  I
> already had a any protocol, any source to any destination on any port rule
> for testing. However, adding the specific rulesets seemed to resolve the
> issue.
>
> I did not however check pfctl to see if the rules were existing already or
> if they got munged somehow.  I should be labbing up some systems to test
> some XMLRPC issues i had in RC3, so ill see if i can get some time to test
> [...]

Do you mean that with the 10.11.200.0/24 tunnel deleted from both ends that
your 10.101.0.0/23 network can reach the 10.11.200.0/24 over the IPsec VPN
to 172.16.0.0/14?

Please do let me know if you find any more information with multiple
tunnels. In the meantime I think I'll probably just have to live with the
connection issue. The one technician at that site will just connect to a
machine in my 192.168.1.0/24 network and then connect from that machine to a
machine in the 192.168.50.0/24 network.