On Wed, February 3, 2010 1:45 am, Chris Flugstad wrote:
> So I am configuring a pfsense router with public IP's on the lan.  Some
> of those public ips are also routers(some pfsense some not) and have
> blocks of ip's of there own on the LAN.  What do i need to do on the
> main(1st) router to make sure the blocks on the next routers are routed
> correctly?
>
> I started to make a flow chart and was even confused bout that ;)  If
> you understand what I am asking, then great.  Much help would be
> appreciated.
>
> -chris

Well, if you have a cloud (the internet) incoming on the PFsense box it
works something like this:

[internet] --> [pfsense box external range] --> [internal public ip range]
                                          \---> [internal public ip range]

Etc.

To get that working properly, you will need to add your "communication
network" on the external network, and setup a connectivity lan on your
internal network. If you have 254 machines in that, you could take an /24,
and they could be private IP's for what that's worth (depending on the
needs).

Next: you need to setup routes to the internal gateways for the
appropriate networks.

Imagine your internal connectivity lan is: 10.0.1.0/24, your external
PFsense box is .1, router_2 is .2, router_3 is .3 , yadayada.

Router_2 contains the external entwork 192.168.1.0/24 and router_3
contains the external network 192.168.2.0/24.

On the external PFsense box you need to add two gateways, with the IP
addresses 10.0.1.2 and 10.0.1.3.

Next you need to add the routes:

192.168.1.0/24 points to router_2 (10.0.1.2)
192.168.2.0/24 points to router_3 (10.0.1.3)

Add more networks as you prefer, and create more gateways where needed.

Does this help to get it going?

Cheers,
remko

--