Greetings,

I have an ADSL modem that is not currently in use, but will be soon.
When said modem is connected directly by cable to pfsense's WAN, and
the appropriate address/netmask assigned statically to the WAN
(192.168.1.0/24), I can reach the modem's web interface at its
assigned address (192.168.1.1) from a host on the LAN
(192.168.2.0/24).

However, if I assign the modem a different address (192.168.4.2),
place the modem on a different interface (192.168.4.1/24), attached
directly to pfsense by cable again, now I cannot reach it from the
LAN. On the LAN I have, for the purpose of testing, a rule to permit
all from all. I have a similar rule on the opt interface that the
modem is attached to. Both of these rules are set to log.

When I ping the modem from pfsense I get responses. The modem appears
in the arp table. Yet, for some reason, when I ping from a LAN host, I
see the ping request show up in the log, but no response is received.
I did a packet capture on pfsense and I see the icmp request go out,
but nothing comes back from the modem. Similarly I can't bring up the
modem's web interface in this configuration.

Any idea what's going on here? I'm thinking I've overlooked something
in the firewall config, but it should be a pretty simple setup for
testing. I tried resetting states and rebooting, but no change. I'm
not sure why I can reach this modem when it's on the WAN, but not when
it's attached to another interface.

PFSense 1.2.3-Release generic
net5501+Intel Pro/1000 MT (LAN)
Linksys ADSLME3 modem