Having just discovered wireshark, I'll agree =)

I'm using the "packet capture" bit in pfsense. Is there a way of doing
this via the shell (I'm new to BSD, more of a Linux person) and leaving
it running (filtered by hostname) for a few hours/days? This way I can
dump it all and analyse it in wireshark.

Thanks,
Josh.