On Thu, Apr 22, 2010 at 17:48, Chris Buechler <cbuech...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 22, 2010 at 7:51 PM, Dimitri Rodis
> <dimit...@integritasystems.com> wrote:
>>
>> I would really like to see this work reliably at some point. From what I can
>> tell, this problem is not limited to just Fireboxes, it is on pretty much
>> all NICs that have
>> RTL8139C+ chips on them.
>>

> There is something specific about the Fireboxes (and some other
> scenarios), but the re(4) driver isn't always that problematic. I have
> at least two boxes that function normally even under heavy load with
> such cards.

> Commercial support available - https://portal.pfsense.org

Yes, there is magic weak-sauce in the Firebox's.   It's like a
typhoon.  OTOH, I had a white-box/former-desktop today, which has been
fine and running w/o complaint.   This afternoon, we started seeing
weird latency spikes - to the ISP router (on premises).  Our ISP is
Comcast, so, of course we blamed a cable-modem or other.   We rebooted
the modem and everything was ok for about 10 minutes.

After about ten minutes, the Quality Graphs showed Avg latency
climbing to 300ms, the overall throughput on our speed tests dropped
under 20MBPS, and RTT spikes of up to 2 seconds when uploading or
downloading.

I started a ping in the CLI when this got bad, and I began having
"ping: sendto: No buffer space available".   I saw a few articles,
etc.  Finally, I noticed that our WAN NIC was an Realtek.   Somehwat
ironically we had just this-week begun to build a second firewall for
CARP, so we switched in the new hardware.  The new/used former-desktop
has Intel E1000s and the problems went away.

I don't know if others have problems like this, but I only have [had?]
four firewalls in production with realtek.  I just replaced three of
them in the last week.   In every case, all my problems went away.
One left, and I think that is doomed for failure.

We would be willing to test Firebox X700 patches, we have 5
functioning Fireboxes.

Sincerely,
  Joshua