> If your Asterisk is setup correctly, the page David pointed you to has the
> solutions to all the common issues. The issue you describe is actually more
> likely to be the firewall/NAT device the phones are behind than the one your
> server is behind, probably have short UDP timeouts and your keepalive isn't
> high enough.

Agreed.

By the by, an easy, if hackish, fix for this tends to be to set the
registration interval very low on the phones.  This keeps the state
established.  I have a few environments in homes we service where this is
literally the only reliable way to punch through the homeowners' NAT (firewalls
they/we can't control, etc).  I've seen firewalls that need 60 second
intervals, and some that can handle 5 or 10 minute intervals.  One of my
platforms has a couple thousand SIP registrations from various phone/ATA
devices, and the load generated by the registrations is completely nominal.

On the server side of things, we're not using NAT, just routing.  Still my
suspicion is that if you're losing registrations over time, it's a session
state issue at the phone's end - especially if the registrations come back when
the expire timer runs out (sip show peer xxxxxxxxxx) and the phone creates a
new connection to register itself.

Nathan Eisenberg