Hi,

I'm running a few (6 at the moment) pfsense 1.2.3-RELEASE boxes on a rather large scale wireless network, as border routers and firewalls between the internet uplinks and the rest of the network. (network background info: +600 subnets, +150 router nodes, 6 internet uplinks, about 1000 unique mac-address clients per 24h, www.wirelessbelgie.be , non-profit organisation running on volunteers )

The traffic shaper is active on the pfsense boxes to allow different internet speeds to different subnets on the network. I'm currently using very large alias lists to manage the +600 private subnets in the traffic shaper.

We are currently looking at switching to a captive portal + traffic shaper + freeradius, so we can set speeds based on user/pass combination in stead of IP subnet. Tests are successful up till now, and we are going to switch this into production pretty soon.

However, I have one problem:
The network contains a lot of 'dumb' devices (ipcams, sound encoders, serial2ip, ...) which also need internet access, but have no clue on how to log in to the captive portal.

I cannot use mac-authentication with the captive portal and the radius server because there are routers in between the pfsense boxes and the devices.