I've been trying to understand some network speed tests today, which
started when I got a new ADSL connection that didn't appear to be
performing properly with speedtest.net -- I was getting ~1Mbps from
inside my network, instead of ~10Mbps that I get when connected directly
to the ADSL modem.

I've managed to reduce the situation to a linux machine on either side
of the pfSense 1.2.3 (on Alix 2D3), and using nuttcp I'm seeing
radically different speeds depending on direction -- 55Mbps vs 1Mbps.

At one side I have a laptop, connected to a 10/100 switch, connected to
vr1 "ADSL" on pfSense (the "WAN" interface into a different upstream is
currently sitting on aue0, a Belkin USB/UTP converter).

On the other side I have a server directly cabled to vr0 "LAN".

[laptop] ---switch--- [vr1:pfSense:vr0] ------ [server]

I'm using nuttcp for speed tests. It's running on the server (nuttcp
-S). On the laptop I invoke seem to be able to transmit/upload at
<1Mbps, but receive/download at 55Mbps.

> r...@dell1:~# nuttcp 10.43.0.2
>     1.7717 MB /  15.24 sec =    0.9751 Mbps 0 %TX 0 %RX 0 retrans 0.83 msRTT
> r...@dell1:~# nuttcp -r 10.43.0.2
>    68.8281 MB /  10.12 sec =   57.0549 Mbps 0 %TX 6 %RX 0 retrans 0.98 msRTT

I've been checking the interface configurations of everything :-
laptop eth0 100Mb/s Full duplex
pfSense vr1 "ADSL" 100baseTX <full-duplex>
pfSense vr0 "LAN" 100baseTX <full-duplex>
server wan 100Mb/s Full duplex

I've just switched off NAT on the vr1 interface (probably shouldn't have
been on anyway, I don't need it) but that made no difference.

I'm not sure what is causing this asymmetry in speeds, and I suspect it
is at the root of my user-level issue, which is where a PC "inside" the
network can only get speedtest.net to report 1Mbps, whereas the laptop
"outside" the firewall (connected to the ADSL modem) can get ~10Mbps
from the same site.

Can someone help me understand what's happening here, and suggest some
tests/configurations that will help to make the network symmetric?

-jim