On 10/18/2010 03:47 AM, Mehma Sarja wrote:
On 10/17/10 2:40 AM, Seth Mos wrote:
Op 16-10-2010 19:38, Glenn Kelley schreef:
does anyone now a US based vendor for these items?
their website lists a US phone number, perhaps that is a good starting
point?

http://www.lannerinc.com/Embedded_Systems/FW-7535
I have a message in to them and will update the list when I get a reply.
Now, let's step back from this a bit. I mean, it looks like a decent
firewall with some cpu and RAM muscle sets you back between 4 and 5
hundred dollars. For a company, that is pretty inexpensive. For a home,
this is high. So, let me ask - see diagram below:

( internet) ====| modem |=====| Alix fanless firewall |=====| Alix -
Snort IDS |===(LAN)

Pretty pointless if you ask me, since you would have to allow traffic through your firewall for snort to 'see' it. Ok, some checks would work but I think your firewall would prevent snort from detecting most attacks.

I can pick up another Alix for say, 150 but it is only 256 MB RAM. Does
anyone do this successfully?

I personally wouldn't run snort on an alix. Just not enough horsepower in there.

There are other things to think about as well, power consumption being one of them. You could go cheaper reusing an old pc, but it would definately use more power, being more expensive in the long run.

If you want cheap, go for any standard home router device (linksys, d-link, SMC, ...) If you want a decent home setup (for testing purposes or whatever) be prepared to spend 'some' money.

All in all, you are getting a very very decent firewall (pfsense plus that box) for 500 dollar, especially when you compare it to the market price for any other hardware solution with all these functions. Whether you want to spent that amount of money, is all up to you and not up to the list to decide...

Regards,

H.