On 10-11-15 09:22 PM, Dimitri Rodis wrote:

I recently migrated a pfSense virtual machine (version 1.2.2) that was running flawlessly on Hyper-V (first release) with 2 additional CARP IP addresses on the WAN interface for about 16 months. Over the weekend, I migrated that virtual machine over to a Hyper-V R2 machine, and all was well except that the 2 additional CARP IPs do not respond to traffic (although traffic to/from/in/out of the WAN's actual IP works fine). After rebooting nearly every piece of equipment between the servers and the ISP, the only thing that made the CARP IPs work again was migrating the virtual machine back to the original Hyper-V (non-R2) host.

Any ideas on why CARP IPs wouldn't work on Hyper-V R2? Is there something since 1.2.2 that might change this?

Thanks,

Dimitri Rodis

Integrita Systems LLC

http://www.integritasystems.com

I do not know a lot about Hyper-v but in VMWare for instance you can block frames with 'faked' mac-addresses. Probably you hit the same problem as CARP-packets have MAC-addresses 'not real' but specifically crafted. Weird thing though in your e-mail is that you mention only one virtual machine... do you use CARP-IPs with one pfSense? if yes then why would you need such set up?

Evgeny.