On Fri, Dec 17, 2010 at 7:52 AM, mehma sarja <mehmasa...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On a test system running on an Atom D323(?) - removed the cover and
> unplugged the psu fan. Good so far. The IR gun shows a psu temp of around
> 97 deg F and stable. There are two small case fans - one of them has a plug
> on the MB that is now unplugged. The other fan wires should be snipped
> eventually. And to make matters interesting, the video chip has a fan on the
> heatsink. Now get this, with the fan disabled and nothing pluged into the
> vga port, he temp shoots up within seconds from 84 deg F to 127 deg F. So,
> that fan got re-enabled.

It's most likely that the Atom system is using the 945GC chipset, of which
the TDP is 22W. I believe the hostest Atom is the D525, of which the TDP is
about 14W and less than the 945GC Northbridge.

Find those that use the newer NM10, used to be called Tiger Point. Its TDP
is about 2W. Then, you can run fanless with the right heatsink and case
combination.

--
Best Regards.
Bao C. Ha