On Tue, Jan 4, 2011 at 8:25 AM, Nicolas Roussi
<nicolas.rou...@archimedean.org> wrote:

> Would this setup be sufficient?

Depends on the bandwidth limits you will put on your clients. I have
2.0 with squid running on an Atom D510 with 4GB RAM and a 40/4 mbps
mlppp connection and it has no trouble. This is servicing 6 clients
with 10/1 each and a campus with 300 wifi customers, limited to 7/1
each.

> And does anyone know a way to manage the access points, not necessarily
> though the pfsense but maybe a software or hardware solution? Changing the
> access points is also part of the plan, Aerohive, Motorolla or Meru
> Networks...not sure yet.

We use open-mesh indoors and ubiquiti outdoors. Open-mesh networks are
managed entirely centrally (on their web site). Ubiquiti (AirMax
only?) equipment is managed through their free AirControl software,
but it's not feature-complete. In other words, you still have to log
into individual units for some changes, or script something with pssh.
They have announced a beta version that is supposed to centralise this
a lot better.

Ubiquiti has also just released Unifi, which is their indoor
enterprise mesh, and they claim it is managed centrally. It looks
good, but frankly we're happy with our open-mesh, so I haven't had a
chance to try the Unifi.

db