On Wed, Jan 12, 2011 at 5:17 PM, Bruce B <bruceb...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Everyone,
> Good news for me that a Cisco/Linksys USB dongle WUSB54GC V3 was detected
> within seconds of connecting to pfSense 2.0 Alix board.
> However, having loaded pfSense 2.0 just today, I am not sure where to turn
> for some documentation.
> First of all, the interface allowed me to add a "run0" which is pointing to
> Wireless dongle I believe, and then there is a Wireless tab
> in Interfaces tab which is confusing and I was able to add "run0" there
> again.
> I have done that but now I am stuck as to how to do a search for the network
> available around me. Is there a network scan available? Or do I have to put
> the values for SSID and security types somewhere in the settings?
> I do see the Ad-hoc, Infrastructure, and Access Point mode but I am not sure
> what they mean in pfSense context.

The same as they mean in any context. Ignore the Wireless tab under
Interfaces>assign for this usage, everything else is identical to
1.2.3. There is various information here:
http://doc.pfsense.org/index.php/Category:Wireless
and if you search the list and forum. Best info is in the book.
http://pfsense.org/book

basically just assign it, go to that interface, enable it, select
infrastructure, fill in the info for your network.