An additional response to your reply to my original e-mail.

I went into Diagnostics->Ping and pinged 192.168.1.3 over both LAN and WAN
interfaces, and got no response back.
This suggests to me that the network interface created for the OpenVPN client
exists, but the web UI doesn't let me talk to it in any way.
I also tried pinging the 172.16 IPs, and the only one that was pingable was the
one that was assigned by the OpenVPN client to the local interface on the
pfSense firewall.
That IP is pingable from both WAN and LAN.

Perhaps pfSense 2.0 BETA5 is not allowing me to create a necessary route
between existing, but hidden, interfaces?

Thanks!