Well, I'm pretty close to admitting defeat.  I've followed the guidance given @

http://devwiki.pfsense.org/DevelopersBootStrapAndDevIso

I've used FreeBSD 8, 7.2 and 7.1, and in all cases am unable to build a
developer ISO.  I've built portmaster and attempted to use it to build the
development ISO.

I think a large part of the problems I'm having have to do with the FreeBSD
idea that you should build all these packages on every machine instead of
having prebuilt binaries you can install, and then those "ports" aren't in sync
with each other so that package A wants B, C and D, but B and D are mutually
exclusive on package E.

For example:  you need seemingly pecl-APC to build a developer ISO yet pecl APC
won't be built if you have PHP4 and if you replace PHP4 with PHP5 then other
parts won't build because they are looking for PHP4 stuff.

So, long story short, WHERE can I find a prebuilt Developer ISO, or barring
that how do I actually manage to build a developer ISO that compiles and links
so that I can actually produce the ISO?

Oh, and my favorite error (after the several hundred compiler issues of missing
header files and redefined values is the one at the end of the build:

.: Can't open ./builder_common.sh: No such file or directory

Sorry if my tone seems a bit acerbic, but more than 3 days wasted trying to get
code to build has frazzled my nerves.