>Well, I hear of people running pfSense in a VM, and I wonder how do you
>avoid exposing the host OS to the network?  How can a firewall be run in a
>VM and not leave the host OS hanging out to be attacked?

Well, if the interface is setup in a bridge with nothing else, what exactly is
addressable that you can connect to and then hack? Now add a vm and plug
a nic into this bridge and put pfsenses wan designation on it. When you show
me one case of the host being compromised I'll believe it, until then it's not
been done as far as I know...