On Wed, Mar 2, 2011 at 2:44 AM, David Burgess <apt....@gmail.com> wrote:

> the NIC is sending and receiving a total of about 530
> mbit x2 during the test.

This gets worse I'm afraid.

I recreated my setup, substituting a GS724T switch in for the GS108E,
hoping the switch might be the bottleneck. Again, testing LAN>WAN
iperf throughput was a flat 500 mbps, with about 10 mbps on the return
during the push test.

I then moved one test machine from the WAN to OPT1 and repeated the
test. This time throughput dropped to around 200 mbps, and pfsense
became totally unresonsive in the UI. As soon as the test ended, the
UI quickly responded to whatever I might have clicked on during the
iperf test.

Similarly in an ssh session on pfsense, I could type in the shell and
see the characters I typed with no observable latency, but pressing
enter returned the carriage and produced no further output until iperf
was halted. Even if I started top running before starting the iperf
test, top did not update itself until after iperf was killed.

Next I changed the mtu on pfsense and my test machines to 4078, the
largest supported by pfsense. This time iperf throughput dropped to 96
mbps and pfsense was similarly unresponsive during the test.

These results are troubling. I will probably have to test 1.2.3 on
this hardware and hope for better results. Perhaps the Yandex drivers
will turn this around?

http://forum.pfsense.org/index.php/topic,33345.msg175595.html#msg175595

This is an Intel DG57JG board, FYI, with on-board 82578DC GBE using
the em driver.

db