On 3/17/2011 8:29 AM, bsd wrote:
> I wanted to know what was the difference between IP Alias and Other in VIPs ?
> What does IP Alias do technically speaking ?
>
> It is not very clear to me.

IP Alias is just that, an IP Alias in FreeBSD. It is an actual
additional IP address defined directly on the network card. It can be
used for anything -- listening for services, port forwards, outbound
nat, 1:1 nat, etc. It lets you actually address and talk to multiple
subnets on a single card if the Alias is in a different subnet.

"Other" type VIPs are just placeholders. The work for those is done by
the upstream gear routing a subnet to an IP on your firewall, and the
"Other" type VIPs just let you use those IPs for NAT.

Jim