| > Anyone seen anything similar, or is this a known issue, or is it
| > fixed in a more recent build?
|
| Check the system log and Status > Gateways, was the primary gateway
| marked as being down?
|
| The default will switch to a secondary gateway if the primary has failed.

When I connected, the external default gateway was up.
The "other" gateway in my case isn't a secondary - it's
a private link to another network.

The logs show that the other gateway was down - the ping check
on that interface isn't currently working.  My gut feel is that
the primary interface and the upstream gateway were always up.

In my case using the other gateway as a default route is of
no use, and even if the primary was not happy.  I don't see
a way in the "Edit gateway" page to disable the upstream
check, though I suspect I could put a local interface in
the Alternative Monitor IP field.

Thanks!

John