----- Original Message -----
> Have not seen this discussed before that I recall... Is there a way to
> periodically export, automatically, the config file? Specifically,
> without mounting or rsync-ing. What I have in mind is an email notice
> someone on the LAN. So, I can can periodically back it up.

I run a nightly cron for some of my boxen for this handy script:

#!/bin/bash
DATESTAMP=`date +%F-%k%M%S`
wget -qO /istorage/infrastructure/prod_edgefw03/backup-$DATESTAMP.xml
--post-data 'Submit=Download' --user=admin --password='secretpassword'
--no-check-certificate "http://HOSTNAME/diag_backup.php";

Replace your password and hostname of your box, and it'll download your config
to a datestamped XML file.

***CAVEAT*** I'm using this against a handful of pfSense boxes running 1.2.2
and 1.2.3. This may not work with the 2.x series. It is untested there...
***CAVEAT***

--Tim