On Tue, Jul 19, 2011 at 3:18 PM, Chris Brennan <xa...@xaerolimit.net> wrote:

> On 7/19/2011 3:08 PM, Moshe Katz wrote:
> > Your firewall rule is wrong.  It needs to allow from ANY source port to
> > 2500 destination port.  The source port is random from the client and
> > the port that you want to open on the firewall is 2500.  When you
> > redirect that to port 80 using port forwarding, that is after it has
> > already passed through the firewall successfully.
> >
> > It looks like you are using pfSense 1.2.x.  If you can update to one of
> > the 2.0 release candidates (I don't know how updates work for the
> > Netgate-branded version), it has a feature that will automatically
> > create the proper firewall rule when you forward a port.
>
> Moshe,
> Yes, I am using 1.2.x, it's what was installed on this netgate, I don't
> know how to (yet) upgrade to one of the 2.0x RC's of pfSense, I was
> thinking about this but unsure how to go about it. if there is some
> documentation on this I would be greatly appreciative.
>
> When I added the NAT rule, it added the fw rule automatically. So I am
> not sure what you mean, the FW rule is allowing from any source,
> effectively *:2500, which is what I want, to only allow specific ports
> though.
>
> --
> > Chris Brennan
> > --
> > A: Yes.
> > >Q: Are you sure?
> > http://xkcd.com/84/ | http://xkcd.com/149/ | http://xkcd.com/549/
> > GPG: D5B20C0C (6741 8EE4 6C7D 11FB 8DA8  9E4A EECD 9A84 D5B2 0C0C)

In a firewall rule, the "Source Port" means where it is coming from on your
computer.  Your computer usually picks a random port to use when you visit a
site in your web browser.  So putting "Source Port"=2500 in your rule will
not work.  2500 is the "Destination Port" in the firewall rule.  In
"screenshot42h.png", that last row should say:

   - Protocol: TCP
   - Source Address: *
   - *Source Port: **
   - *Destination Address: WAN_IP*
   - *Destination Port: 2500*
   - Gateway: *
   - ...

The bold ones are the ones you need to change.

Moshe

Moshe Katz
-- mo...@ymkatz.net
-- +1(301)867-3732