On Tue, Jul 26, 2011 at 4:15 PM, Paul Kunicki <pkuni...@sproutloud.com> wrote:
> Routed SSH Sessions are killed After 15 Minutes Whether Active or Not
>
> Hi everyone. I am running 1.2.3-RELEASE on two Dell Poweredge R300s with CARP
> configured for redundancy. Each node has four interfaces:
>
> em0: 192.168.1.x/24 (LAN1)
> em1: 10.0.20.x/22 (LAN2)
> bge0: 192.168.4.x/24 (CARP)
> bge1:  192.168.8.0/24 (WAN BEHIND ANOTHER ROUTER/FIREWALL)
>
> When connecting via SSH from LAN2 to another FreeBSD server on LAN1 I am
> disconnected (Broken Pipe: Write Failed) after exactly 15 minutes even if
> there is activity i.e. top runnning etc. When I connect from LAN1 to the same
> server I remain connected. The server that I am connecting to is dual-hommed
> with a seperate interface on LAN2. SSH sessions over LAN2 to the same server
> stay connected.

You have asymmetric routing because the host is dual homed, which will
cause problems with any stateful firewall. You either need policy
routing on the host itself to ensure all traffic leaves the same
interface it enters via the appropriate gateway when off-subnet, or
only use the interface IP where the default gateway resides when
off-subnet, and only the local subnet IP when on subnet.

Please don't post the same thing to both the forum and mailing list
unless you don't have a response on one or the other after 24 hours.