On 8/17/2011 4:32 PM, greg whynott wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I just installed a fresh copy of 2.0-RC3 for a client to segergate the
> vm sandbox enviroment.   We are not using NAT,  rather just routing.
> My intention was to configure some basic fw rules afterwards.
>
> During the setup, I turned off NAT via the "disable firewall" option
> (system-advanced-firewall/nat tab).
>
> I enabled transparent proxy but it does not appear to be working.  the
> access log and cache dir are not growing.
>
> do i need the firewall turned on for the redirect to work?   if so can i
> have the firewall on and nat off?

You must use pf/NAT for transparent proxy to work. It's really just a
port forward behind the scenes that directs the outgoing web traffic
into the proxy.

You can disable outbound NAT (what you wanted) without disabling the
firewall. Just switch to manual outbound NAT, save, and then delete any
rules that show up. If you're on manual outbound NAT and no rules match
the traffic, no NAT happens.

Jim