On Sep 9, 2009, at 02:34, David Balazic wrote:
Mark Doliner wrote:

Just a few tips:
* Users do not have to be subscribed to this mailing list in order to
post to it.

The listinfo page (URL in footer) does not say so. I don't think anyone
would go search your message first and then (not) sunscribe. I believe
most will go to that page, read how to subscribe and do it. This is
pretty
common issue with mail lists. The info whether it accepts posts from
non-subscribers in not published, at least not in the obvious places.
So sometimes I post and wait for either a rejection message or that
my message appears in the archive. As both can take hours if not days,
I usually subscribe first.

This has been discussed previously, but the support address is listed in the Help->About dialog in Pidgin (where I suspect most people get to it) and up until the most recent release, the text did not explicitly reflect the fact this was a public mailing list address.

When replying to a user's email please ensure the user's
email address is listed in the "To" field.
* Replies to this mailing list by default go to the user who sent the
email.  We've talked about this behavior in the past and do not plan
on changing it.
* You're encouraged to use "Reply All" or "Reply List" for the
majority of your responses so that future generations of Pidgin users

Just a note: The vast majority of users have no "Reply List" button
in their MUA. (at least not in default configuration)

I accept the fact that users seeking support in a back-and-forth will not always reply to the list. Surely, though, the small minority of people who respond to support inquiries can be expected to maintain a CC to the list on emails.

Another reason to explicitly CC the list is that it makes it clear that a user's issue has been addressed.

~Paul