I subscribed to this list to learn more about Pidgin so that I could ask intelligent questions, but most of the discussions are about topics that far exceed my understanding of Pidgin's capabilities. Currently, a number of people in my group chat on a BBS using the site's internal flash client. Not only does the board require a monthly or annual subscription that is too expensive, but also the moderators are getting extremely restrictive in what can be chatted. Therefore, I want to set up a chat room that requires a login to access (membership required, but not paid membership.) Some people would want to use a web interface, but I would want to use Pidgin, as some others probably would.

Can you recommend a service to host the chat? Is there software that I can install on my cPanel-hosted shared server account? Pidgin is my current IM client for AOL and Yahoo, but it is amazing to see how much more it can do.

Thanks!