John Bailey wrote:

It could be partially the crappy webmail interfaces to blame, but a lot of this
falls squarely on the shoulders of people who don't know how to use e-mail
properly.

It basically reflects the market for Pidgin, and particularly that segment of the market that can't solve problems, or determine that a request is unreasonable, by themselves.

It's been threatened before to make all our mailing lists forcibly reject mail
without proper subject lines, but nothing has come of that yet.  For the record,
I'm fully in favor of rejecting blank subjects.

To do a good job, you would need some good heuristics. One or two word subjects or the use of the word "help", should get poor scores, but I don't know how you do good AI to recognize all subjects that properly summarise a problem or question.

I did try fixing up the subjects of articles to which I replied, but got complaints from people using subject only threading.

--
David Woolley