John W. Moore III wrote:
Programmer In Training wrote:

Again, you running (or wanting to run, I'm not sure where you are at on
that, nor do I care (not to be crass, but I'm trying to help you with
Pidgin)) Ubuntu or not is not relevant to this list. I'm trying to be
patient and helpful, but I think there is a language barrier preventing
that.

Doesn't bother Me to sound crass.  :)  He has mentioned many times that
He's running Ubuntu and will reinstall Ubuntu.  He *never* mentioned
Windows. <SIGH>  Ubuntu is Linux.

I heard he was installing (then reinstalling, then installing) Ubuntu, so forgive me for not being on the boat that he is using Ubuntu.

Offering Windows assistance to a Linux User is about as helpful as
offering a can of Diesel fuel to a motorist who has run out of gas.  :-\

This is true, and my apologies to him and the rest of the list. It sounded like to me that he was wanting to install (or having used it before, reinstall) Ubuntu on a slow running computer. I hope I can be forgiven for thinking he was running Windoze.

S/He needs to login as Root and then locate ~/.purple  [~ = Home]

I'm fairly certain Bernie is a he. And he doesn't need to be root to get into ~/.purple (unless he's running Pidgin as root, which is just silly). I'm very familiar with Linux myself (I've used RH6.2-8, Debian and Gentoo), having about a decade of experience with the OS (giving my experience with Linux to certify that I do know what I'm talking about).