Dave Warren wrote:
Whatever happened is new behaviour for Facebook; I've used Facebook's lists feature since I started on Facebook a couple years ago and until recently contacts always showed up in groups. It stopped while I was travelling, I haven't touched any privacy settings since then, and I've always been unavailable to Facebook chat with a certain group of people who don't use it responsibly right from when I first started using it.

I can't imagine why Facebook would have made this change, although it might be due to the fact that they're automatically creating lists and users might have whined that it creates "duplicates", but this is a total shot in the dark.

Yes, the forced group name is a new change (I saw it last week or so), just switched on recently (what was it, last week?). Facebook's online documentation for connecting Facebook Chat with XMPP clients (not Pidgin-specific ones) have screenshots that don't show the forced "Facebook Friends" group name, so even their help pages haven't updated.

I don't know _why_ they did it either, but if it was a deliberate choice, I would guess something along the lines of what you suggest.

Like you said, unfortunately, nothing Pidgin can do about it.

--
Erik Max Francis && m...@alcyone.com && http://www.alcyone.com/max/
 San Jose, CA, USA && 37 18 N 121 57 W && AIM/Y!M/Jabber erikmaxfrancis