Historically I've had a hard time distinguishing which protocol I'm using too.
Colors sound like a good way to do it.

I can't provide you a solution on that, only say that in the past I would put
the word " (msn)" or " (gmail)" in the contact's alias to distinguish protocol.
 It wasn't elegant, but served its purpose.

Now, IM is used less at home and more at work so its no longer needed on my
setup because everyone at the workplace uses the same protocol.

-Tres