Ethan Blanton wrote:

On Windows, we don't use the system store.  I don't know why not, I
assume it's painful, probably because of poor OS design and
implementation.

Probably because one would have to use all of the Windows public key infrastructure, instead of the open source implementation.

The non-Windows ones are probably designed for use with OpenSSL.

In Matthias' case, he ran a system call trace, and Pidgin is using /usr/local/share/purple/ca-certs, which is clearly a private store in Pidgin. This is on FreeBSD.

The Microsoft Internet Authority certificate in 2.10.3 expired in February 2011. My Windows copy was installed in March 2012 and would have been current, then.

It looks like the Microsoft Internet Authority certificate in the source tarball for 2.10.6 is also expired (on February 19th 2011), even though the extracted file is dated 2012-07-01. As that is the current version, there is definitely a *problem* with Pidgin on any system using the certificates it provides.

(As it looks like Pidgin caches the server certificates, I suspect the problem only shows up when people use a server they weren't previously using, or which, itself, has expired. On the other hand, it should not be using a certificate that is past the lowest expiry date of any certificate on its chain.)

--
David Woolley