On 14/10/13 15:39, Ralf Skyper Kaiser wrote:

can you clarify this quote from you please:

"That goes against the general philosophy of open source clients. The
user should be assumed to be responsible."

Are you saying that users who use open source clients are assumed to be
responsible? (and because of that pidgin should have a lousy SSL
security implementation - because the user knows what he is doing)?

Enforcing local management policy tends to be a low priority in open source software. In the case of certificates, as long as the user is told that there is a problem with the certificate, it is generally assumed that any choice to ignore the warning is an informed decision. Freedom tends to include the freedom to ignore warnings.

Windows, although far from open source, tends to take a similar position by default, but does provide features like group policies to allow a management lock down. Windows SSL security implementation is also lousy, in your terms, because:

- most people who use it think that an https URL is all that is needed for security and have no understanding of the need for authentication;

- it enables all sorts of weird CAs with low authentication thresholds, along with the class 3 certificates - any one of which will let you in without a warning.

Incidentally, I don't know any easy way of giving standard Windows applications selective access to root certificates, without giving all applications the same restriction.

As a specific example of an area where Pidgin doesn't comply with management lock down wants is that every few months people ask how to disable all but one service, to which the standard answer, is you can disable protocols by removing the plugins, but the end user can just re-install them, so the correct solution is block at the firewall. Of course, many people asking for this would want Facebook and Google blocked, but are using private XMPP servers, so share a common protocol.

As Ethan says, I'm not a Pidgin developer (my programming work with open source is in a different area), but I don't notice much support for management lock downs anywhere in Pidgin.