On 2014-03-19 14:02, George Marshall wrote:
Firstly I was not interested in having a connection to a mobile phone, it was for a desktop computer on windows 7 64 bit, so someone got their facts wrong.

<...>

Are you aware that you're responding to a post on a public mailing list that was about an unrelated topic?

Please keep the <support@pidgin.im> list in the TO/CC field or use the REPLY-TO-ALL feature of your mail client so that other list members can assist as needed.

I tried this pidgin for connecting to Facebook and it did not work although I did exactly what was explained on the setup it still would not connect,

Facebook's documentation at https://www.facebook.com/sitetour/chat.php (click on "Pidgin") seem to work for me. Be sure to use the exact username specified there, which may or may not be what you normally use to sign in to Facebook.

Beyond that, if you have set up Facebook's two-factor authentication you may also need to go to https://www.facebook.com/settings?tab=security&section=per_app_passwords&view and click on App Passwords, then "Generate app password" for pidgin.

I had this problem also with Ftalk and chit chat as well but all I got for my troubles with them was a load of maleware.
What do you recommend ?

I do not recommend installing malware.

--
Dave Warren