On 10/01/2014 03:40 PM, David Woolley wrote:
My attention has been drawn to the web page
<https://developers.facebook.com/docs/chat/> which has a red warning
triangle against a section saying that Facebook support of XMPP is
deprecated and will disappear at an unspecified time in the near future.
  I imagine the alternatives are not open source friendly.

I don't remember this coming up on this list before.

Maybe people enquiring about Facebook problems should be warned of this.

Well, I don't know about iOS, but on Android, Facebook has already taken steps to break chat-related features off into their own app, and essentially force everyone to download it if they want to use Facebook chat. That implies to me they're trying to implement their own 'closed' setup, as well.