On 07/09/16 00:07, A wrote:
Just as a quick point of note for anyone that might benefit.

I happen to be working certs right now myself.  I discovered
letsencrypt.org a free certificate authority.  Pretty nifty. That's all
we know. ;)

Anyone with the ability to understand the OpenSSL documentation, which presumably includes all the Pidgin developers, can become a free certificate authority. The difficulty is convincing browser and operating system suppliers that you are actually checking the identity of the people requesting the certificates properly, and, for Microsoft, probably paying them a fee for inclusion.

Certificates aren't necessary for encryption; they are necessary to be sure that the encrypted channel is going directly to the organisation to which you think it is going without a man in the middle being able to decrypt and re-encrypt it.

cacert.org is a much longer established free certificate authority, but they are still not included in Microsoft systems. letsencrypt get into Microsoft software because they are a second level authority, although that begs the question as to why Microsoft should allow that, for a public second level authority.

Whereas cacert document their trust model up front, I couldn't see anything explaining the trust model for letsencrypt on a quick scan of their site.