Hi, I have a couple of questions, since there may have been a
misunderstanding here.

Pidgin currently supports three auth methods for AIM:

- MD5 using slogin.oscar.aol.com. Uses the DistID, does not use the DevID

- clientLogin aka OpenAuth using
api.screenname.aol.com/auth/clientLogin. Uses DistID and DevID. Has
been the default setting for pidgin releases since 2009

- Kerberos using kdc.uas.aol.com. Uses DistID and DevID. Introduced in
pidgin 2.11.0, released four months ago.

If I'm understanding this right, the first method is being
discontinued and the other two will continue working. It's possible a
lot of users are using that - the account setting is a bit too
visible, so users might just switch to it for the sake of changing
settings. But as far as I can see, pidgin with the default
configuration won't stop working.

What I don't understand is why we're changing the DistID and DevID.
I'm 90% sure that clientlogin sends both in the same way as the
official client. Did the previous ones get invalidated?

We're currently using these:

Pidgin
DistID: 1550
DevID: ma1cSASNCKFtrdv9

Finch:
DistID: 1552
DevID: ma19sqWV9ymU6UYc

Libpurple:
DistID: 1553
DevID: ma15d7JTxbmVG-RP

The source code says they are owned by the AIM account "markdoliner".

Are these still valid? If they are, I think you can go ahead and pull
the plug of the old auth method.

Thanks