I pinged the devs as listed on the JIRA site and Brett suggested I
join this list.

My original request was:

There are a large number of people waiting for
http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/SUREFIRE-257 temporary fix of
providing surefire-report:report-only.

I've been contemplating cutting a release for it for some time, but I
am not sure how I would go about this since the plugin is in the same
project as surefire itself.

If you have no problems with releasing a 2.3.?? of the plugin only and
are willing to sketch out the basics of how you would like that done,
then I can do the work and get you to validate what I have done.

And Brett mentioned there were some things to check on Windows, so if
you want list them out I can have a look.