Hmm - catching up with this conversation rather late...

I guess the question is whether the reverb is 1x4 or 4x4. 1x4 is easy enough
to measure and use with standard techniques, but 4x4 is trickier as you'd
need to collect impulse responses from a range of source locations in the
room (effectively the 4x says that you want the reverb to vary with the
input direction(/distance?), which needs measurement). Entirely possible
though - if anyone has such a set of responses I'd be very interested in a
play... (?)

The reverb in the Rapture3D game engine is written from the ground up for
Ambisonics and uses a 4x4 form, though the late reflections are actually
only 1x4. But it's not a convolution reverb because the controls all have to
be dynamic, and games use several of them so the CPU budget is small. I
could probably generate some 4x4 IRs from it with some contortion, but I
suspect it'd always be much more efficient to just run it, for all but very
short decays.

I keep meaning to find time to put some things like this in VST plugins, but
it's hard to justify the time when DAWs still make Ambisonics hard to work
with... Anyone aware of any progress/potential partners there? I've not
really looked for a while.

Best wishes,

--Richard